||[Feb. 25th, 2006|10:58 pm]
Wizard of Changes -- ©cdozo 2004 to 2015
I woke up with a start very early this morning. The room was pitch black, and my mouth and nose were filled with smoke. I got a huge adrenaline rush and my first coherent thought was that the smoke was really acrid, more like smoke from burning paper than smoke from a house fire. Then I was fully awake and everything was fine and there was no smoke. It was quite disconcerting.
So I got up and checked the house. There was nothing wrong, and no evidence of smoke anywhere. Then I stood in the hall and watched my smoke detector for a minute. Its Battery OK light didn't flash. So I changed the battery. I went back to bed, and lay awake for a bit worrying that it had been a premonition of some sort. The smoke had seemed so real.
I'm glad it wasn't real.
I want you all go check your smoke detector battery RIGHT NOW! Replace it right away if the Battery OK light isn't flashing or if the batteries are more than a year old.
Please, do it right now.